main header
about usservicesphysiciansnewscontact us

The History of the Hospital in Pauls Valley

Pauls Valley General Hospital opened its doors to patients in January of 1970. When you trace the history of hospitals in Pauls Valley, you find out that over the years they have been in many locations and had many different names.

In 1905 Dr. Newton Harvey Lindsey and Dr. James R. Callaway formed a partnership. They had four or five beds for their patients, and their location was above a discount furniture store which was formerly known as Willis Variety Store. Dr. Galvin L. Johnson later joined the partnership and on June 1, 1916, the Pauls Valley Sanitarium was opened in rented quarters over Baker Drug Store which was in the building occupied by the Federal Land Bank and home to Oklahoma Gas and Electric Company. There were 10 beds and at that time it was considered a "modern" hospital. Mrs. Maude Low was the first superintendent.

In 1917 the hospital moved again, this time to 500 N. Willow in a building known as the Pratt Boarding House which was also formerly a school house. Miss Eugenia Davis, R.N. was superintendent at that time. The Sanitarium remained in that location until 1926 when the property became Stufflebean Funeral Home. The hospital then relocated to the second floor of the Pauls Valley National Bank with doctors' offices and 12 beds for patients.

The hospital continued to be known as the Pauls Valley Sanitarium until 1936 when Dr. Edward Shirley became a partner of Dr. Johnson and Dr. Ray Lindsey and the hospital's name was changed to the Lindsey-Johnson-Shirley Hospital and Clinic. A new hospital was then built by Ernest Weaver in 1937 next to what was most recently Barton Drug. The Lindsey-Johnson-Shirley Hospital and Clinic remained there until 1948 when the property at the corner of Grant and Pine was purchased and that became the sixth location for the hospital. The name was also changed to N.H. Lindsey Memorial Hospital and it was equipped with 37 patient beds. The First Baptist Church parking lot now occupies that location. In January 1970, the 64 bed Pauls Valley General Hospital opened in its present location.